Woman's brush with death
Wed Mar 14, 8:56 AM ET
A Hong Kong woman somehow swallowed her toothbrush but still managed to dial 999 and call for an ambulance, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.
The 42-year-old woman's brush with disaster happened on Tuesday morning when she slipped, jamming the offending 15-cm implement down her throat, the South China Morning Post said.
The woman was still able to call 999 without choking and request an ambulance, the paper reported.
"Paramedics obtained another 15cm-long toothbrush at her home, which she said was similar to the one she swallowed, and took it with them to the hospital," the newspaper said.
The instrument was eventually extracted with endoscopic surgery.
"The woman is now recovering and her condition is listed as stable," a hospital spokeswoman was quoted as saying.