Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Oh how things have changed...

While out running errands yesterday I took Ian and Sam to Silver Diner for lunch. Silver Diner is just that - a diner - old style. It has a jukebox, serves up these big shakes, and has everything from burgers to meatloaf to food so gross that I won't even mention it. They also serve beer and I'm not sure how many of the old diners did that. But I digress. There are murals all over the walls inside, including one of an old style Car Hop. You know - the kind with the roller skates and short skirt. Ian saw that and yelled out "HEELY'S!" I nearly fell over laughing. She was wearing roller skates and he had no idea what they were, yet he knows what Heely's are. For those not in the know, they are these sneakers that have wheels on the bottom. Here are a few pics:

The come in various colors and are not only for boys, but also for girls and apparently grown ups. Although, I've honestly never seen one on anyone over about 13 years old. Not sure that this craze has caught on in the high school crowd. And it is a craze. Our elementary school sent home a note a few weeks ago saying that you must remove the wheels from the shoe or you would be sent home. Apparently they are either disruptive in school, or kids were getting run over. Just my guesses, nothing more. I've seen kids zipping around the mall, the grocery store, and anywhere else with a flat surface with these things on. You are basically self propelled, so kids really dig these shoes. Max has asked for them several times and I tell him "No." Then I mutter under my breath "Yeah, Over my dead body." Of course, now that I've said that out loud to someone other than Tom, I'm most likely going to eat those words very soon - I'm just sure of that. Maybe they will fade away or become uncool before Max really REALLY wants to get them. Oh geez - there's also Ian and Sam, who both obviously know what they are. Man am I in trouble...

No comments: