Saturday, July 19, 2008

Yes, I made my kid cry

Honestly, it's not what you are thinking. A few days back Tom and I saw an ad for Burger King. (Yes, this story begins with BK.) They were showing their newest Kids Meal and the toys that come with it. They were also introducing some new food options, ones which I figured that Max and Sam would go nuts for. Little did I know how right I was.

A few days later we were driving back from the first day of gymnastics camp and the boys asked to eat out for lunch. I told them that we could, but they needed to agree on a place. Sam wanted McD's (he pretty much always does), Max wanted to eat at home (that's generally his first choice) and Ian wanted Wendy's. This is where I pulled out the trump card - the meal deal that would beat all others. I told then that we should go to Burger King instead - and Ian pretty much instantly agreed (he's a big fan of their chicken fries). Max wrinkled up his face and so I told them that they now had Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and apples in their kids meals, and Max and Sam started cheering (well, yelling and screaming but they calmed pretty quickly). Then I told them that they should guess the toys that they have currently. They guessed Cars and Kung Fu Panda, and I mentioned that it was their favorite thing. Ian and Max yelled "POKEMON!" and Max burst into tears. I nearly drive off the road. Fortunately we came up to a stop light and I was able to turn and look him in the eyes. I asked him if he was OK and he said, through the tears in a weak little boy voice, "Yes." Ian piped up and said "Mommy, those are happy tears -Max is happy." I asked Max if he was OK again and if they were tears of joy and he kinda smiled a little smile at me. He took a few minutes after that to collect himself.

So you see, I made my kid cry. I didn't hit him or yell at him and wasn't mean to him in any way. I simply told him that they had two of his favorite things at Burger King and his little hormones kicked right into overdrive. Needless to say he demolished the Mac and Cheese, downed the apples, and enjoyed his Pokemon toy and card. Funny how early those hormones kick in. And he's only 7.

No comments: