Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Yes, he was indeed scary.

Dear scary man who came to my door mid-day,

When you approach someone's door in the middle of the day, there are some basic etiquette rules that you need to follow.

1. Ring the bell and WAIT. Yes, wait. It might take a minute for the person answering the door to get there.
2. Don't POUND on the door. Pounding never scores points. And there may be someone sleeping - you wake me up, you make me mad. You wake my kid up and we're going to have a "little talk."
3. Certainly don't ring the bell them IMMEDIATELY pound on the door. This borders on creepy and it might change my mind about the whole answering the door thing.
4. And if the person does answer the door, DON'T YELL AT HER - she's slow (or busy) not deaf. Speak in a regular voice and be polite. Don't make faces or STOMP off across the lawn if you don't get the answer you want either. That's just poor form.
5. If you POUND, RING, YELL, or STOMP, you will FREAK OUT the person in the home that you are attempting to get to hire you. Never works. Never, ever. Doesn't matter how dirty my gutters are - you scared me and I hate that.

And note to the next person that comes to my house mid-day and pounds, rings, knocks, walks up to the door, or even sniffs around my house, I am NOT going to answer the door. The scary man that swung by today in an attempt to clean out my gutters blew it for you. You and the next thirty people that come by. (So sorry favorite UPS guy - this means you too.)

Signed,
The woman who is now jittery mid-day

This is cross posted over at DC Metro Moms.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Yikes. I'm starting to think that they need to teach more common sense at school and less math.

I mean....Gesh, come on!