Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Like Mother Like Son

I know, it isn't quite the time of year when we discuss black eyed peas. New Year's will be here soon enough (and all I will say about black eyed peas at that point will be that I don't like them and won't eat them). I'm talking about the Black Eyed Peas with the big B, the big E, and the big P. My kids like their music - and I don't blame them, they have a great beat. They even asked today to add them to their Mix Tape list. But I think I need to be a bit more careful about what I let the boys listen to. One of the kiddos likes to sing. I'm not talking about Itsy Bity Spider or the Pumpkin Song - he likes to sing along to the CD's that we listen to in the car. He listens to the words and tried to understand what they are saying and repeat...and he's pretty darn good at it (the repeating the correct lyrics part - the singing is...eh.)

So here's the latest addition to Ian repertoire:

Don't Phunk With My Heart

"No, no, no, no, don’t phunk with my heart
(Yeah)
No, no, no, no, don’t phunk with my heart

I wonder if I take you home
Would you still be in love, baby (in love, baby)
I wonder if I take you home
Would you still be in love, baby (in love, baby) "
-The Black Eyed Peas

Yea, that's all he has now, but it doesn't always come out sounding the way it should - he's got those articulation troubles you see. He hasn't tackled the rap part of it (thank goodness) but I'm sure he's close. He talks through the verses so I'm sure his little brain is sucking it up. But for now I hear, from a little voice in the seat behind me: "No, no, no, no, don't phunk with my heart."

At least it isn't the 70's and at least I'm not playing the soundtrack to the musical Hair. Apparently my mom had a similar problem when I was three. If you are curious, it's the only song on the soundtrack that starts with "S." This is a relatively clean blog so I won't put the actual name of the song, but take a stab and you'll figure it out. If you want, go look it up and you'll see why my very free spirited mother stopped playing the record when I was three - I knew ALL the words. Maybe it's time for me to shelve the BEP's. Bummer.

No comments: