Friday, February 23, 2007

Four years ago

So four years ago today we had the beginning of a really interesting ride. I was terribly pregnant, and had made two runs to the hospital to stop labor. At this point I was almost 36 weeks along, and quite uncomfortable. It was a beautiful day out, Max was riding his trike, and we were expecting a big storm. Little did we know that the storm would bring more than just snow to our house.

Tom went to work on the 24th like any other day, at least like any other day as you would with a very pregnant wife. I was already on full bedrest and Patti and Henry were on full time Suzie and Max duty. The storm came in and as the day went on the weather got worse and worse. I was starting to have contractions, so I tried everything that had worked before. The contractions were 8-10 minutes apart, so I was in pretty decent shape. I called Tom at work and asked him to come home. It took him just about forever to make that trip home as the storm was getting worse. It was snowing and we weren't sure if the roads were going to close or not. The doctor told me to go ahead and come on in just in case we couldn't get in later. At this point the contractions were 5-7 minutes apart, so we were in fine shape.

With Tom in front of me and Patti behind me, I walked out to the truck, which we decided was the best way to get downtown to the hospital. There was snow everywhere and it was starting to freeze over. The highways were mostly closed at this point, so we knew it would be along drive down there. It probably took us about 1.5 hours to get down to the hospital, but we got there in one piece. It was the middle of the night by the time we arrived, and the hospital was pretty slow.

So, long story short, they put me in bed to watch the contractions, which were actually 2-3 minutes apart, but I just couldn't feel them. I slept until about 5am, when a nurse discovered a foot down in my cervix. This meant no vaginal delivery, but a c-section. Within minutes my room was full of nurses, anesthesiologists, and doctors explaining what was about to happen. Within one hour Tom and I were the parents of not just one cool little man, but three. Ian and Sam were delivered in the midst of an awful ice storm, early in the AM, and were healthy, healthy, healthy little men.

So, here we are four years later, and what a wild trip it has been. I have so enjoyed being the mom to these two spunky, bright, little men, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Max is a fantastic big brother, sharing the good as well as the bad habits with his two little brothers. He really enjoys playing with his brothers, and they have really enjoyed having him around. These guys are three very different little men, all bringing their own unique qualities to the table. Who would have thought four or five years ago that we'd be welcoming these two little men into our lives. Certainly not Tom and I. Life is full of wonderful surprises, isn't it?

1 comment:

The Firth Five said...

Happy Birthday to your two! Wow, love hearing about your delivery story. 4 Years Old!!!