Sunday, August 19, 2007

Toning Up

I really enjoy exercising. I know, it sounds crazy, but I get lots of energy from it, I feel better, and I sleep better at night when I exercise regularly. I am certainly toning up but have run across a big downside. Well, not really big, and not terribly noticeable to anyone but me (probably not even Tom notices!). But, I never would have expected this to show up. When you tighten up your muscles, your fat jiggles more, and jiggles by itself as your muscles are more toned. Bummer...but it's true...


So I am toning and am slowly getting rid of the jiggly fat, but man, oh man this part isn't fun. All those jiggly parts - the parts that you don't ever want to own up to, are making themselves known because they are suddenly on their own. I guess that it's nice because I can see muscle definition, but before the muscles were defined, the fat and the muscles moved together as one and no one, not even me, seemed to notice. Good thing that no one else knows, but I had to share this in case you ever decide to tone...


In case you were wondering I'm healing up nicely and have been back at the gym for a few months now. However, my core muscles, those that help you stand up, balance, and do just about everything are still in terrible shape. After the little guys were born the abdominals never quite came back together, so those were sewn back together in April. While I can walk without falling over and can lift heavy objects, my balance on one foot and my ability to keep myself upright on one foot when fatigued is non-existent. It's pretty funny to see me doing balance things at the gym. I think my trainer gave me a bunch of those exercises to provide entertainment for others working out while I am exercising. They sure do get their money's worth watching me attempt NOT to fall over! So, slowly but surely I'm getting stronger and hope to get back on the skateboard soon - but that takes a LOT of balance, and I'm not sure I have it just yet.

No comments: