Sunday, January 13, 2008

It's Cookie Time!

Several days ago I read a message on our Mom's Club list serve that it was cookie time and one of their daughters was selling Girl Scout cookies and she'd love to fill my pantry with cookies. Then I got a message on our school's list serve that the school based troop was ready to take my cookie order. Then, a friend mentioned that her daughter was selling them and if I needed any she'd be glad to take my order. Do-si-dos, Thin Mints, and Tagalongs could be on my shelf in a matter of weeks if I placed an order now. Huh.

Whatever happened to girls knocking on your door with a wagon in tow and selling cookies that way? That's how I remembered doing it, and that's how we bought cookies when we lived in Texas. Seems that the DC area is more plugged in. But are we cutting the girls out of the equation here? Aren't they the ones that are supposed to sell those cookies? At least in the past few years (due to safety concerns I'm sure) local troops set up booths at Walmart, Walgreens, the grocery store, etc. Did those cookie booths disappear too?

O.K. Aside from that, should we really be eating these cookies? With names like All Abouts, Lemon Chalet Cremes, Trefoils, and Samoas, are these really good for us? Of course not. Not only are they not good for us, they are laced with something that makes them irresistible, and highly addictive. We have all, at one time or another fallen prey to the wily Girl Scout and purchased a box (or three) of our favorite. They must train all year long learning how best to get these cookies into our hands. Now the Girl Scouts have stepped up their game - not only are the cookies to die for, but they've roped their moms and dads into delivering these delectable treats. Man, oh, man. We are not going to win this one...and I'm popping a note off right now to my local troop to hunt up a few boxes ...for the kids. Yes, I said the kids.

3 comments:

Stimey said...

Yeah, three parents at my preschool hit me up for cookies within fifteen minutes of each other. Of course, to be a good friend, I had to by from all of them.

They should at least be honest and call them "Parents of Girl Scouts Cookies."

Anonymous said...

I just put up a very similar post on SV Moms Blog about cookie sales. I have had enough of it, already!

http://www.svmoms.com/2008/01/the-lamest-brow.html

Jill

Robin said...

We actually had a LIVE brownie knock on our door earlier this week.