Friday, November 23, 2007

How NoVA does parades

Not DC - they have HUGE parades, but Northern Virginia. I am a parade JUNKIE and we missed this one last year due to some unfortunate circumstances. So, we hit the Reston Thanksgiving Day parade and aside from freezing had a good time (well at least I did...). We saw the standard parade fare, old cars, scouts (both Boy and Girl), giant balloons (even a giant attack eagle balloon - check out this little girl - she ducked just before it attacked her!)
Really, no kiddos were harmed in the marching of this parade - she was holding the beak...
We also saw bands, fire trucks, and of course Ronald McDonald (huh? Yeah, Ronald). Then, we saw the Zamboni (hey, it was cold out),
the swing dancing penguins,
the Hogettes (crazy fund raising Redskin fans),
and last but not least, Santa and Mrs. Claus.

So, I was impressed enough by this parade to deem it Suzie Parade Worthy (meaning I'll drag the family again next year). Then again it doesn't take much (ask Tom about the Leander Days parade or the Anderson Mill 4th of July Parade...and I can go on). Hopefully though it will be a bit warmer, or the wind will be still for us so we won't freeze. Forty two isn't bad (did I just say that?) but when the wind chill cuts right through the pants and the wind howls past the buildings, it feels like upper 20's. But we'll be back there next year, right on time, lining up to see Santa and Mrs. Claus again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Reston. We only lived there for about a year, but I miss it.