Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Coming Full Circle

Subtitled: Revenge of the 1980's

I am almost 36 years old. I'm old enough to have kids, even teenagers that I need to buy school clothes for. And the advertisers are taking full advantage of my sentimentality. One of what I consider the defining movies of the 80's genre (might be wrong on that one but go John Hughes!) is being used to market to today's kids - my kids. Here's what I remember from the 80's:



And here's what has appeared on my TV regularly over the past few weeks:



The funny part? Well, kids that are young enough to be mine weren't even alive in the 1980's, so while the commercial is cute, it is certainly targeted at me - the person that was so much a part of the 80's. And you know what? It worked. I'm not shopping at Penny's, but I am talking about it - to my husband, to my friends, and here. They did their job and they did it well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought the same exact thing when I saw this commercial.