Friday, June 02, 2006

Old Friends

Old Friends
So an old friend with whom I've been in contact with recently ran across another old friend from elementary shool. They started talking and decided to get a group toegether of the important folks in their lives - those who had an impact. As I attempt to hunt these folks down, it amazes me how many memeories are wrapped up in these few people. I truely did spend my childhood with a small group of friends. Since I didn't move from basically first grade on, I ahve a alot of the same friends throughout my school aged years. The problems we ran into was a population problem - they kept splitting us apart as neighborhoods grew and as more folks with kids moved in. Even though we lived in a town with seven military bases it seems the kids that were there to stay grew close. We all started at the same elementary school and ended up mainly at two high schoosl with a few others scattered around. Several left the state before we even got to middle school, and a few more peeled off as we got older.

We did Girl Scouts with these folks as well as birthday parties, play dates, swimming fun, and the list goes on. It's the little events that are creeeping back in now - those things that really did shape the person whom I've become. I am really thrilled at the idea of seeing the folks that had such a great impact on my life in a setting where we can really reconnect.

But it is an odd process hunting those that are "lost" down. I have one person where I have two possible names that I just need to pick one to call and see if he's the right one. Then we have the elusive friend whose name pops up here and there - and we know it's him - but we can't find any contact info. Then there's the friend we saw on TV and the two friends with such common names that in San Antonio alone there are several (and we're not sure but we think at least one left the state!). So tracking people down is a chore, but it will be so very worth it when we get together next year. Hopefully everyone else will have a similar reaction to our plan - not the revolting HS reunion reaction that we've all been through already. I'm sure you'll hear more about this from me as time goes on, but it's becoming a reality now so I can give voice to it and share so you can be excited right along with me.

No comments: