Tuesday, May 22, 2007

YEA! It's WARM outside!

I don't know what it is about the Spring / early Summer, but I really dig this part of the year. It's when the flowers have come and gone, the temps have risen, the shorts come out of the closet, and the sweat drips down your back. Well, that last part is kind of gross, but it really does come along this time of year. Nice thing is that this year, and last, we are in a much cooler climate, so not as much drippy down the back sweat (and you all know exactly what I'm talking about...). Anyway, I really like this time of year, and I realized that it had arrived yesterday when I was driving home and had a thought that school was almost out. As a kid I remember that this was the absolute BEST time of year. The end of school meant summer - no classes, swimming, and no commitments. Lots of free time playing with friends, although our parents will say otherwise - they tried desperately to fill our summer days with non-destructive things that didn't involve police or rehab or any law enforcement of any kind. (Now, as a parent, I totally get that fear of OH MY GOD IT'S SUMMER AND I DON'T HAVE ANY ACTIVITIES PLANNED FOR MY KIDDOS! I digress.
Summer is almost upon us. Here in Virginia it recently got warm enough to break out those shorts. The kids have some color in their faces now - the result of more outside playtime. We've loaded up on sunscreen and bug spray because those pesky mosquitoes aren't far behind. But, the summer is definitely close. Last summer in VA it was beautiful almost all summer. Locals complained about the humidity, but man, ANY humidity when it's 80 or 85 degrees is not anything to complain about. Hah. That's nothing. It was actually cool enough last summer that the boys weren't so excited about going into the back yard pool that much. We were able to hang out and play outside throughout the summer. So, I'm looking forward to something similar this summer - beautiful blue skies and clear days. If you don't hear from me or can't find me, just peek in my back yard - I'm most likely out there with the guys hanging out and playing, maybe reading a book under the trees.
Our back deck - almost fully shaded in the AM now that the leaves have all grown in.
The boys up in their new playhouse
Our back yard - picture taken from the deck

No comments: